Monday, November 30, 2009

ON THE VERGE

Last year as we prepared for our senior art show it was suggested we seek professors who were not so familiar with our work and get varying perspectives on it. One of the professors who saw my work really loved my palette and asked me to describe it, “they're (my colors) a bit like earth tones kicked up a notch,” I suggested. “Yeah!” he said excitedly, “they are like earth tones on acid...” This remains perhaps my favorite description of my work and ever since then I've thought of my colors as such. Well, it seems my colors are on the verge of overdose.

It is hard for that not to be the case when you are in a place where color is so intense. Where you have never seen a blue that is more blue, or a green so varied and intense in the midday sun. And every house is a different color, intense as the sun, the ocean, the land. The tropic is alive and it seems it has infected me; and just like the spirit of my figure is seeping out into the atmosphere, it appears the tropical atmosphere has seeped back into my soul.

I had forgotten how much I love blue. I love it in its intensity that reminds us we came from water millennia ago and just so we come from an ocean recreated again in the womb. For the first time in a long time blue is in my work. And it seems so strange and simultaneously exciting. It is impossible to be surrounded by water, by the sea of 7 colors, and not succumb to it. This work as such is Fluid.

The following pictures are approximations to the piece. The best I could do under the circumstances and with the equipment available to me. The red tones are pretty close but the blue is not quite right. Still I hope you enjoy.




The tropic is alive. It is intoxicating. It is within. I am on the verge.

3 comments:

  1. You are
    . . . . . . . . !!!!AMAZING !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Es re re re linda. Increible, de verdad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think is the best work I've seen from you Julis... I love the details on the arm... are you bringing it?

    ReplyDelete